Students at Brown who are U.S. citizens are eligible to vote either in their home state or in Rhode Island. Students who choose to vote in their home state must register in that state and then apply for, fill out, and mail in an absentee ballot.
Step-By-Step Guide to Voting Absentee :
- Make sure you are registered to vote (and know where you are registered). You can do this through TurboVote.
- Check deadline for requesting an absentee ballot application
- Go to https://brown.turbovote.org
- Complete either an online or paper absentee ballot application (If you select the option for TurboVote to mail you your absentee ballot application, they will also include a pre-stamped and addressed return envelope)
*Please note that in some states your ballot is verified by matching your signature to ones on file.
- Mail your absentee ballot application as soon as possible.
- Now, your Board of Elections will mail you your ballot.
*Check your Secretary of State website to see when you will receive your ballot, if you do not receive it by said deadline, we recommend calling your Board of Elections*
- Fill out your absentee ballot and either mail or hand in your ballot by the deadline
*We recommend visiting our informed voting tab before filling out your ballot*
Requesting your Absentee Ballot on TurboVote
Brown partners with TurboVote to help its community members register to vote. TurboVote also sends community members applications for absentee ballots, absentee ballots, election reminders, and other relevant information.
TurboVote will first send you the absentee ballot application form in the mail, and it will include a return envelope. Then, you mail in the application form. Your State Board of Elections will then mail you your official absentee ballot, and you must fill it out and return the ballot by state’s deadline for the election.
Free Stamps and Envelopes for Voter Registration or Absentee Ballots are available at the Swearer Center (email@example.com) and at the University and Student Shipping Service Center Window – Weekdays 10:00-3:00. Located in Page-Robinson, 1st Floor.
Need your registration or ballot form Notarized? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help. The Swearer Center has three Notaries on staff. You can also pay for notarization services at many UPS stores.